Saturday, February 19, 2005

Sami Eats

About 3 weeks ago, I started trying to feed the Samster some "big girl" food. Her pediatrician gave us strict rules to follow... first give her rice cereal. Then after that was going okay, move her to peas, then green beans. And then and only then, introduce her to fruits. Okay. Yeah.

For about a week and a half, I tried with the cereal. I tasted it, and it wasn't horrible, but it was pretty bland. (I've vowed not to feed her anything I haven't tasted and deemed acceptable first.) It had just the slightest bit of sweetness to it, but it wasn't very tasty. Anyway, I'd get about 3 spoonfuls into it, and half of that she pushed back out with her little tongue. And then she'd start the motorboat thing, where she blew it back all over me. I decided that was her way of saying, "Thank you so much, dear mother, but I believe I've had just enough, thank you."

I actually even quit trying for a day or two.

Then with no regard whatsoever for Dr. Noah's rules, I tried applesauce, which tended to make her shiver. Upon tasting it, I discovered it was really quite tart, and so decided to mix it with the slightly sweet rice cereal. It was very palatable to me, mixed together like that. And sure enough, she too found it quite agreeable. And before I knew it, she had eaten almost a quarter cup of it. Opening her mouth like a little bird for each bite. Success at last.

So feeling guilty for flouting the feeding rules, I decided to catch up, and tried some peas. She liked them just fine. And it seems like overnight, she suddenly had this voracious little appetite for all things baby food.

You're only supposed to introduce one new food every 3 days, to check for allergies. And I kind of tried to adhere to that for around 2 days, but I got caught up in the whole thing and bought her all kinds of veggies and fruits. And now I just shovel all different things into her eager little trap. Within just a couple of days, she began to consume pretty much anything with gusto.

Peas, green beans, applesauce, peaches, sweet 'taties, corn, carrots, oatmeal. She loves it all. Why did I know she was going to be a good little eater?

Her only beef with the whole process is the feeder's speed. You have to like choreograph the whole thing and keep it coming fast or you get her off her rhythm and she's trying to swallow when you're trying to shovel it in. She's now eating a half cup of cereal--either oatmeal or rice--mixed with a spoonful or two of fruit in the morning. Then nearly a full jar of veggies for lunch. And at dinner, another jar of veggies, followed by a few mouthfuls of fruit for dessert.

Who ever thought I would actually feel so proud of her simply eating so enthusiastically? I swear, being a mom is just one surprise after another for me.

No comments: