Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Predictable

First of all, I have to say... I feel just so... predictable. Don't think for one moment that I don't remember how I felt and reacted to mothers when I was "pre-baby." Because I do. I did not find all the little intricacies of babies to be fascinating whatsoever. And naturally, now I do. Can't help it. And frankly, wouldn't want to feel any other way.

Thank goodness that I have an outlet for these seemingly daily epiphanies about motherhood. My sister either is endlessly interested, or is amazingly adept at pretending she is.

So Sami was suddenly able to put her fingers into her mouth by grasping her little, chubby, perfect, adorable hands together first--to this day, it reminds me for some odd reason of "gangstas" making their gang signs - the way she melds her hands together with her arms bent out in front of her, then brings the whole thing home to her mouth--and then smirks with contentment at her accomplishment.

So I'm granted by "the grace of God" with an incredibly happy, cheerful baby, and misdirectedly take credit for her good nature by virtue of my superior (questionable at best) parenting skills.

So she appears to already exhibit her little sense of humor, with crinkly-nosed responses to things that are only subtley funny.

So I can make amazingly accurate assessments of whether or not people I meet have children or not, based upon their reactions to my daughter.

So I can strike up a Target check-out lane conversation with an expectant mother "of a certain age" now, and exchange intimate details within 2 minutes flat, and feel I've bonded with her in a certain, lasting way.

So when I get together with girlfriends that aren't obsessed with babies, for an adult beverage, and get intolerably bored within about 20 minutes--ready to go home to my dear husband and child with no regrets for missing the rest of the good times.

It doesn't mean I'm predictable. It means I've discovered what I had been missing all along.

The mothers that tried to explain it to me before are now pardoned. Turns out they were being so gracious by not being condescending about my ignorance. They had the good sense to let it go, rather than try to make me comprehend it.

Please make me learn to be as wise.

No comments: