Monday, June 06, 2005

Sami Crawls and Gets Called "Spoiled"

Yep, it is official. Sami crawled! Last Wednesday evening. Here's the thing; with our schedules, and her early bedtime, her dad and I are at home, together, with her, during waking hours for what, maybe 6 hours per week? What were the odds that her first official crawl happened with both of us sitting right there watching her? I'll just admit it too, we both got a little teary-eyed. We're such goobers over her. Anyway, she's been pretty mobile by virtue of scooching, but she finally got up on her hands and knees to stay and move that night. Of course, now here's the part where I go on and on about how cute it was/is. She isn't real coordinated at it yet, so her little crawl-steps are these teeny little choppy movements, and yes, it is wildly adorable.

After my entry last night, following the late phone call from the distraught friend, I had to have a babysitter for a few hours today, to go take over the oversight of our company's golf tournament registration and check-in. About a week ago, I had decided I had wanted to go out to the tournament just for fun, and so had called my regular favorite babysitter, Leslie, but she wasn't available. And she had suggested two friends, with whom I made contact, but neither of them were available either. So I had resigned myself to the fact that I just couldn't go. Then I got this emergency call last night, leaving me with no choice but to go with Irene. We kind of refer to her as the wacky babysitter. She's very sweet, older (retired), but unfortunately she usually takes care of old people and was just branching out into youngsters the first time we began using her. And that's when we still had SamtheCat, and Michael swore when we used her that she seemed just befuddled enough that one night we'd get home and she'd have tucked the cat into the crib and fed the baby catfood. Anyway, we had to have SamtheCat put down 2 weeks ago, so that's not a worry anymore. :-( And honestly, she is a very nice older lady, and with being retired is much more available than our college-age sitters. So I called her out of desperation and she agreed to come over today. I had already left for the tournament, so Michael had the task of kind of reaquainting her with Sami, and formula and where we keep everything, etc. Well, with Sami right at 9 months, she's peaking with her "stranger anxiety" phase. And this was no exception, I guess. At one point I called home to see how it was going after Irene got there but before Michael left for work, and all I could hear was Sami screaming, and Michael going, "It isn't really going very good." (Just so you don't feel bad, please know that shortly after that, Sami went to her crib for a nap, and slept until just before I got home. So she was fine.) But the funny part is, Michael then called me on his way to work and was still bristling at Irene's offhand comment that Sami was "spoiled." It really irked him. He goes, "She isn't spoiled, she just loves her daddy. She's daddy's girl." Then I think he mumbled some other stuff too.

Then when I got home, and Irene kind of recapped the couple of hours I was gone, she sort of admonished me about Sami's reaction to her. She subtly indicated that in her opinion, Sami needed to be exposed to more strangers. It was clearly her opinion that that was the source of Sami's "bad" behavior. See, in Irene's mind, she's our only babysitter. So she thinks that the 2 times we used her were the only times Sami's ever been with anyone outside mom and dad. Now, I didn't go out of my way to dispel those thoughts of Irene's, because -- well, I don't know. You just feel like you're two-timing your babysitter if you use other people I guess. I know it is stupid. But we liked our other babysitter so much we use her whenever we can, but we don't want to offend Irene onaccounta she's so available for emergencies. See?

So what I couldn't bring myself to tell ol' Irene was that Sami has never cried when we leave her with Leslie. So I ended up having to listen to her advice about how to raise my child (please note, Irene has no children herself) without being able to properly defend myself. That's probably pretty funny -- me taking ill-advice without mouthing off back to someone. I don't know if that has ever happened before.

No comments: