Monday, February 23, 2009

Today

I have "things" going on work-related that are attempting to erode any sense of creativity or fun or joy in my days. But I had to decide I can't let that happen. Hence, a quick post...

Having to not utilize day care for her first 3 years was a huge blessing. For us, for her, and for our finances. But now that she's in preschool, not suprisingly she is bringing home about a bug a month. That's okay. We expected it. And that's the only way one's immune system develops. And we've been lucky, she has only gotten sick for a day or two at a time, and none have been severe.

One hit yesterday. The sniffly nose when she woke up didn't make me get it. (Even with our whole house humidifier, the air is just crispy dry this time of year, and a stuffy nose is pretty common in this house without it being an indication of getting sick.) The lack of appetite for breakfast didn't make me get it. The willingness to sit quietly and watch tv while I bustled through a complicated breakfast prep didn't make me get it.

But later when I slowed down, I saw the ever so slight droop of the eyelids. And then when I kissed her forehead I knew. The beginning of the fever. She's finally maturing enough to mostly understand that she's sick and that it is okay to lay low for the day, and that it will be over soon.

I kept trying to con her into lying down in our bed to "watch tv" with me in the afternoon. She kept turning me down. Then later she came to me and said, "I don't feel good at all. Let's go lay down." Zowie! Then get this... she actually chose to lie in her own bed while I went to mine. She wouldn't let me close her curtains to darken her room. She had me open her windows for fresh air. She left the door open to her room. And Katie (our cat) was smack in the middle of her belly. And of course despite everything I would expect to keep her awake, she fell asleep and stayed that way for over 2 hours. And at one point goofy Jazzy (dog) went into her room to bark at God knows what like always, and it still didn't wake her. Tired, sick child.

Then last night her fever broke and today she's on the mend. Not good enough for school, but easily managed with a work from home day.

* * * * *

Does anyone care as little about the Oscars this year as me? My whole life I've loved movies. But since Sami we don't go to them any more. Still like 'em on cable or Netflix or whatever. But seriously. These people. These people seem so self-absorbed and riddled with a sense of self-importance and personal drama. Ummm, people? You pretend for a living. It isn't important.

Ooo. Ranting. Where'd that come from? Oh well, I'm proud of myself that it wasn't about work.

No comments: