Thursday, March 31, 2005

Dad Sizes Things Up

This afternoon, I came home from work to find Daddy and Sami merrily amusing each other. And Michael was packing for a little overnighter to a conference, and was understandably a little preoccupied, I guess. But after I shed all my work gear, and Michael had disappeared elsewhere in the house, and I walked over to shmooze with the Samster, I see that he has her--and I mean this in the very literal sense of the word--crammed into a little one-piece outfit that she wore when she was about 2 months old. It is a favorite of mine that her Aunt Bec bought for her, and too adorable to be passed on to Goodwill, so I had kept it buried at the back of her closet, as one of the few clothing items I allowed myself to keep as a sentimental item.

Let me point out that Daddy doesn't concern himself much with whether or not outfits are actually buttoned or snapped as intended. If most of her is covered, he's pretty satisfied. So if the snap-closed crotch area of a one piece outfit doesn't quite get snapped up, he's mostly like what the heck, whatever.

So when he couldn't even get these close, he just kind of twaunched a couple of snaps from the right leg into the middle receptacles, and called it done. But what was so very funny looking, was that the legs hit her mid-thigh (they were supposed to be full-length, and were, when it fit her). And her little arms were smooshed into the sleeves like tightly packed sausages, with the cuffs hitting her just below the elbows. It was a size 0 to 3 months, and she's currently in the 18 month size, if that gives you a better indication? Gosh, you really had to see it to appreciate it.

I am learning to have a better sense of humor in lieu of criticizing in these types of situations, so I didn't say anything, and just hauled her upstairs and put her in, you know, an outfit that, well... fit. But you just can't help but wonder what sort of filter is produced by his eyes that had him satisfied that that was an outfit well-chosen. Did he actually stand back and admire his work when he was done wrestling her into it? Only Sami knows.

No comments: